The Kalyazin bell tower is all that's left of the monastery of St. Nicholas, built between 1796 and 1800. According to Wikipedia: "It is considered a symbol of old Russia which disappeared after the revolution." In 1939, Stalin decided to flood the town to make a reservoir in the Volga River. The abbey itself was dismantled. However, when tourists became interested in seeing this unlikely sight, the government shored up the bell tower and made a little islet for it where boats can dock. It is a beautiful and imposing site, especially when thinking of all those who toiled on its construction, only for it to be drowned due to the will of other men.