25 Jun '11, 12am

Stop the Belo Monte Monster Dam in Amazon! Signature of petition

The government claims that Belo Monte's cheap energy will power the houses of Brazilian families. In reality, only 70% of Belo Monte's energy will be sold for public consumption. Meanwhile, the remaining 30% has been purchased by state electric utility Eletrobras to resell to inefficient and energy-intensive industrial mining and other operations. The government has planned a USD $40 billion investment in mining expansion for the Amazon region through the year 2014. The heavily subsidized electricity from Belo Monte and other hydroelectric dams planned for the region would power the expansion of export-oriented mining at the Vale corporation's Carajás iron mine and Salobo copper mine, Alcoa's Juriti bauxite mine, and Anglo American's Jacaré nickel mine, among others. Meanwhile, Brazilian citizens would continue to pay among the highest energy tariffs in the developing worl...

Full article: http://amazonwatch.org/work/belo-monte-dam#.TgUybhSYyvQ.t...

Tweets

people

amazonwatch.org 02 Jul '11, 3pm

A Last Stand for the Xingu Video from a historic indigenous gathering held in the Kayapó village in the Amazonian state of...

Yo ya la he firmado Firma en protesta por la pr...

amazonwatch.org 26 Jun '11, 9pm

A Last Stand for the Xingu Video from a historic indigenous gathering held in the Kayapó village in the Amazonian state of...

Deforestation in Brazil's Amazon continues to rise; clearing highest near Belo Monte dam site

Deforestation in Brazil's Amazon continues to r...

news.mongabay.com 17 Jun '11, 8pm

Deforestation in Brazil's Amazon continues to rise; clearing highest near Belo Monte dam site mongabay.com June 17, 2011 D...

After years of community opposition, Peru cance...

news.mongabay.com 16 Jun '11, 12am

Last chance to see: the Amazon's Xingu River (06/15/2011) Not far from where the great Amazon River drains into the Atlant...