18 Jun '11, 11pm

9 Surprising Items Made With Animal Ingredients

9 Surprising Items Made With Animal Ingredients

If you thought that by quitting meat or at least going weekday vegetarian you were doing your part to avoid the horrors of factory farming , think again. Even though animal products might not be in as many places as some claim (most tennis rackets are made with synthetic materials now), they spread far beyond just those hidden in food : everywhere from your car to the bathroom and the sky in the 4th of July. As the Ontario Farm Animal Council clearly puts it, “on average, 98 percent of an animal is used. From that 98 percent, about 55 percent (on average) of the animal is used for edible products and the remaining 45 percent for inedible by-products.” 1. Plastic Bags Many plastics, including shopping bags , contain ‘slip agents’, which reduce the friction in the material. What are those made of? Animal fat. In a more technical explanation from Genetic Engineering and Biote...

Full article: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/9-surprising-items-made-...

Tweets

What do you think of this artificial meat made ...

treehugger.com 19 Jun '11, 12pm

I'm sure your gag reflexes are in full effect right now and they should be. This is a weird one. A Japanese researcher has...

Hands-On Animal Rescue | Care2 Causes

care2.com 22 Jun '11, 1am

Animal Rescue Corps (ARC) is a unique breed of rescue organization that rolls up its sleeves and dives into work when ther...

Top 10 Animal Dads

Top 10 Animal Dads

care2.com 16 Jun '11, 1am

Mom is often the first to get props when it comes to raising the kids, but let’s not forget to give Dad credit where credi...

Surprising Silver Lining of Sadness & Depression | Care2 Healthy

Surprising Silver Lining of Sadness & Depressio...

care2.com 11 Jun '11, 12am

What if feeling depressed is actually a positive thing that makes you healthier? By Ginny Graves, Prevention Dina S.* had ...