24 Jul '12, 7am

How Extended Producer Responsibility Could Revolutionize Recycling

How Extended Producer Responsibility Could Revolutionize Recycling

This is a guest post from Tom Szaky, co-founder and Chief Executive Officer of TerraCycle , which provides free waste collection, and then turns that waste into sustainable products. Widely quoted estimates suggest that 90% of the ‘stuff’ we buy is discarded within 6 months of purchase . What’s worse is that 10% of this “stuff” ends up going to some type of waste-to-energy facility, while the remaining 90% of America’s waste ends up in a landfill . With over 360 million Americans and counting producing on average about 4 pounds of waste a day, it is clear that our recycling systems need to be expanded to accept a wider range of materials, and fast. Worse yet, even commonly recyclable packaging formats such as PET and HDPE plastic bottles are only recycled at an estimated (and paltry) 25% . Examining the Chip Bag Let’s look at one common “non-recyclable” waste stream, chip ...

Full article: http://www.treehugger.com/corporate-responsibility/how-ex...

Tweets

Plastic bags: to #recycle, or not to recycle? The answer is getting clearer:

Plastic bags: to #recycle, or not to recycle? T...

earth911.com 01 Aug '12, 1pm

These days, plastic bags and film packaging can be found on everything from the loaf of bread in your kitchen to the dry c...

blogged: La Fatima, Producer Carmen Duch Martinez

blogged: La Fatima, Producer Carmen Duch Martinez

blog.barismo.com 24 Jul '12, 9pm

Fatima is made up of mature bourbon trees covered by plenty of shade which is mostly ingas. There is also a small amount o...

Greenwashing 101: We have 1) made our bottle green and 2) printed recycling instructions on our boxes!

Greenwashing 101: We have 1) made our bottle gr...

grist.org 25 Jul '12, 9pm

OMG, look how environmentally friendly this company is. (Photo by voltageek .) Greenwashing is stupid and obnoxious. “Oh, ...